Reasons to Shop Small
December 05 2014
Reasons to shop small
Forget the early-morning pushing and shoving in a crowd. Sleep in, meet for breakfast at a local, independent cafe, then go shopping in your small friendly stores.
- You’ll strengthen your community - Spending local means your money stays local and gets reinvested in the community that makes it work. When you shop small, the bulk of the money you spend and most of your taxes stay local — helping schools, paving streets, keeping you safe. When you spend money in local shops and cafes, you support your neighbours.
- Small businesses pay their taxes – Small businesses can’t afford to come up with the fancy tax avoidance schemes of the larger corporates and online retailers. We pay our fair share of corporate taxes, VAT, employee taxes and business rates that fund your local services, hospitals and police.
- The internet can’t fix your bike - Your local store can help you find the best riding spots, get your bike running sweet and can get you something at super short notice before the weekend. They can handle warranty claims and can give you advice about pretty much anything!
- You'll create jobs – Successful local businesses create local jobs. Often, these are jobs that pay better than those at chain stores. Small businesses invest in apprenticeships, training and mentoring of their employees for the benefit of the local community.
- Support Community Groups – Your local bike shops give a lot back to the local cycling communities. They help support events run by local schools, cycling clubs as well as local charities.
- You’ll get great service – You’ll benefit from good advice and might be pleasantly surprised at the prices.
- Try before you buy - Major retailers have the advantage of economies of scale and can afford to slash prices and offer reduced costs. However, it's easy to waste money on “bargain” clothing or equipment that is ill fitting or not fit for purpose.
- But small shops don’t have enough stock? – True local independents can’t always hold endless stock of every type of product. However, if you give them a chance they can usually source even the most exotic products from the distributors in only a couple of days – is it really that urgent?
So, this weekend, if you are looking for a better deal, reconsider your support of the big online stores and car parts retailers, don’t wait for somebody else to make the difference, be that somebody and give your local bike shop a second look, a second chance.